Ramblings and ravings from Bedfordshire's youngest (probably) Churchwarden on things like Macs, Design and other interesting things!

Monday, February 12, 2007

Musical thoughts


Tonight I’ve been preoccupied with my usual, post-dinner thoughts of losing weight again. You’ll notice that they are always post dinner, never pre! But I got round to thinking seriously of going back into the gym again. I’ve avoided it, because, the one at work is a small room, perhaps 5m x 3m with a variety of equipment in it, but populated by what I think the Americans would call “hardbodies”. Anyway, I’m about to go back in saying fuck em all and thought about what to put on my iPod for the gym.
I used a programme called Tangerine! to do myself a BPM oriented list of tunes for the Gym. It came up with loads of Madonna (probably ‘cos I’ve got all her albums!) and some ABBA a bit of Daft Punk and some Edwin Starr. So really not an ideal balanced gym playlist.
I really fancied some 80’s 12“ action - if you’ll forgive me for saying so, because the songs last long enough not to get distracted by the ”forward“ button whilst I sweat and moan on the exercise bike and the tempo is usually pretty cheesily ubpeat. I call it cheese because that’s what everone automatically thinks I like - I mean, on my Stag Night I was out in Kingston Upon Thames and went to a club that was always painfully hip when I lived nearby and the doormen smiled, let us in and said - ”you’ll want the cheese lounge upstairs then“ - and the sad thing was the he was right, straight up the stairs and launching around like a bell end to ”Tom Hark“ by the Pirhanas.
Anyway, I digress, I was always a big Acid Jazz man at college, the first band that I really ”followed“ by buying singles and the like were Jamiroquai - so I always liked the late lamented Jazz FM and surprisingly enough the Hed Kandi sessions were always a college favourite of mine. So tonight, I have ordered one of their albums for the gym - i’ll blog on what it’s like when I’ve had a listen. What is nice about the Hed Kandi records is not just the content but also the fantastic artwork by an artist called Jason Brooks it’s a real treat to look through his portfolio of classy prints which I think have a real fifties ”breakfast at tiffany’s“ vibe.
Just saving up now to buy a print for my study wall!


No comments: